The Ultimate 'On The Road' Reading List
When you're on the road, you often find time to read in extraordinary places.
The Works asked a selection of travel bloggers to share their most memorable reading experiences while traveling. We asked them to post about how the book they had read made them feel, exactly where they were when they read it and to describe their surroundings and situation, explaining why the moment had such an impact.
We were delighted with the response; some of the travellers' tales were really captivating and managed to evoke a real sense of emotion and place.
The following list includes some fantastic book recommendations for your next holiday, please click through to read the posts:
- 'Hideous Kinky' by Esther Freud - OUR WINNER!
- 'The Island' by Victoria Hislop
- 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry - we had 2 entries for this book! The second is here.
- 'The Alchemist' by Paulo Coehlo
- 'The Celestine Prophecy' by James Redfield
- 'Trainspotting' by Irvine Welsh
- 'Secrets' by Freya North
- 'Shantaram' by Gregory David Roberts
- 'Catcher In The Rye' by J.D. Salinger
- 'Gardens of Water' by Alan Drew
- 'Rebecca' by Daphne Du Maurier
- 'The Brief Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao' by Junot Diaz
- 'Saving Fish From Drowning' by Amy Tan
- 'Island' by Aldous Huxley
- 'Down and Out in Paris and London' by George Orwell
- 'The Book Thief' by Marcus Zusak
- 'Funeral in Berlin' by Len Deighton