Hey fellow crafter! I’m Bethan (founder of Pretty In Paper By B), a world-leading craft influencer from Yorkshire and today we’re going to decorate a wooden love heart together!
I really love having handmade wall decorations around my house. They just seem to fill the space with the same joy and loving care that went into making them! So, I’m really excited to be sharing this craft project with you. It is simple to make (I promise!) and yet it will look delightfully pretty hanging on the walls or doors of any home. You could even share the love and give it away as a unique gift.
So, gather your supplies, get comfy and let’s get crafting!
What you will need
- Watercolour Feelings Design Pad 12” x 12” (24 sheets, 230GSM)
- Pink Paper Block 6” x 6” (30 sheets, 100GSM)
- A4 Pastel Paper Pad 16 Pack (8 colours, 180GSM)
- Wooden Heart (Decorate your own)
- Wooden Alphabet Letters
- Wooden shapes (21 pack, assorted sizes)
- PVA Glue (or hot glue)
- Foam Sticky Pads
- Sticky tape
- Tweezers (optional)
- Hole punch (optional)
- 1. Untie the string from the large wooden heart. Set aside for later.
- 2. Choose a piece of pastel card from the A4 pack. Lay the wooden heart on top of the card and draw around the heart to give you an outline on the card. Using scissors, cut out the heart shape.
- 3. Lay the wooden heart on top of the card heart. Turn over and use a pencil to mark the place of the hole. Cut or punch out the hole from the card.
- 4. Stick the card heart to the wooden heart using PVA or hot glue.
- 5. Take the pack of assorted wooden heart shapes and choose 5 small hearts that are all the same size.
- 6. Choose 5 different pretty papers from the pink paper block. Using the pencil, draw around one of the small wooden hearts, so you have one outline on each of the papers. Cut out the paper heart shapes and glue them one at a time to the 5 small wooden hearts.
- 7. Using PVA or hot glue, attach the small wooden hearts to the larger heart. Position them near the top, to look like a bunch of balloons.
- 8. Cut 5 short lengths of string (roughly between 10-15cm) and glue them to the bottom of each small wooden heart. Allow to dry.
- 9, Select 4 letters from the Wooden Alphabet Letters pack to spell L-O-V-E.
- 10, Choose a sheet of card from the Watercolour Feelings Pad. Cut a rectangular strip of your chosen card, roughly 5cm wide.
- 11. Glue the letters in the centre of the rectangular strip, to spell the word L-O-V-E.
- 12. Bunch the balloon strings together using a small piece of sticky tape.
- 13. Attach roughly 6 sticky pads to the back of the rectangular strip, placing them in the central section under the letters.
- 14. Peel the backs off the sticky pads and attach the paper strip to the wooden heart so that it covers the balloon strings. Trim the overhanging edges of rectangular strip so that it neatly fits the heart shape.
- 15. Rethread the string that you removed from the large wooden heart in step 1. Tie securely.
- 16. Hang and display your decorated wooden heart for everyone to enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed crafting with me today and I can’t wait to see your hanging wooden heart decor! Follow me on social media @PrettyInPaperByB for more craft inspiration and tutorials!